Thursday 26 March 2009

Getting back into it

My mother has just moved back into town, after having lived up North in the country for several years.  We are so thrilled!  Before she moved away, we used to see each other all the time - usually every weekend.  And we'd chat on the phone regularly, but when she moved away long distance charges meant less phone calls, and the harsh winter weather up North meant less visits.
So it's especially exciting to me that she is here to meet her new grandaughter, and spend time with us again.  

When I went to her place for a little visit yesterday, I noticed there was a knitting pattern book with a picture of a delicate baby sweater on the front.  Two feelings at once came over me; one was excitement that she might be picking up her needles again.  I think it's been at least 10 years since she has knitted or chocheted anything.  Second, I got that feeling you get when you find out what your surprise was before you are supposed to know.  Even though it's for baby Emma, I just felt so sentimental that she might be getting a sweater hand made by her gramma.  
It really is such a special thing to receive hand made gifts.  I think that's why I got so excited when I would participate in those knitting swaps online, but I haven't done one for awhile, as the last one I was in I ended up getting it in the mail late and it was such an embarrassment!  I had put my outgoing package in the mailbox with decent time, only I didn't realize that ground mail going overseas too at least 3 times longer than air mail, and I should have sent out my parcel during the first week of the swap and not later on.  But, you learn from these things.  

Once I do a few projects so I'm not too rusty anymore, then I'll be quite anxious to get involved in another swap.  Maybe something simple like a dishcloth swap to get me started.  My husband thought I was nuts sending things to people I had never met, but when you get a package in the mail, it feels just like Christmas or birthdays!  I loved the anticipation, but most of all I liked meeting new people and making new friends.  Now that I'm back online more often as I'm finally starting to get a wee bit more sleep through the night, I'm curious to check all your blogs to see what I've been missing.

By the way, if you have an 'easy' pattern for some fetchings that I can make with some gorgeous dark blue alpaca yarn, please send me the link!

2 comments:

  1. okay - before i comment i must mention my word verifcation: ductface. sounds like something that happens to red green after a few too many beer...

    now for the real comment: it's nice that your mom is going to be close again. it is a wonderful gift if you are truly friends with your parents. and as for husbands and swaps, mine doesn't get it either but has accepted that it may mean "treats" for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my boys heard me laughing when I read your comment and asked what was so funny, so I read it to them... they thought getting chocolate in a swap sounded like a great idea. Maybe I'll have to enter the next chocolate swap that comes online!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!