Wednesday 12 January 2011

Huh?


So, today I am trying something new. This funny yarn - I forget what it's actually called, as it has been in my stash for a long time. I think it's called Fun Fur?

So for tonight's ESL kitting club that I'm volunteering for at the community centre, we are doing a simple garter stitch dishcloth knit-along. I wanted to show the other participants how you can make different things with the same stitch, like a scarf. How different can you get from cotton than fun fur? So, I pulled it out and cast-on. I quickly realized it was too tight, and had to start again. I was knitting the second row, thinking to myself how I will explain yarn tension to the group, and the same thing happened again; too tight. How will i be able to undo this???

If I can barely find the stitch buried in there to knit, how on earth do I undo stitches? :)

I guess this one had better be perfect, but inside all these tangles, I doubt if anyone would actually be able to tell what blunders lay there.

Normally, I knit Continental style. But as most people do it the other way, I thought I would brush up on English style knitting for tonight's meeting. At least I won't be going too fast for anyone. I wasn't sure just how new some of these knitters are, so I decided not to pick out a pattern with purls in it. Am I wrong? I think it would be challenging enough to try and teach a new technique, and new knitting terms to those who are struggling with the English language. It's conversational English we are trying to focus on, so I would like the participants to be as relaxed as possible, not having to over-complicate things. I've met a lot of wonderful people while volunteering at the community center. Our neighbourhood is very diverse, and through some of these programs we are able to get neighbours to reach out and say hello to one another.

I am a little nervous about my teaching ability. Knitting is something that I haven't been able to teach my kids, and I wonder if I'm just terrible at explaining it. I am bringing some youtube videos that show in slower speed the beginner steps. I won't be the only volunteer there, but it makes me feel better knowing I have expert backup if needed.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, say hello!