Saturday 19 February 2011

Feb 19th, knitting update

It's been a nice week for weather here, slowly getting warmer each day.  That is, until today.  Yesterday I had posted this question on the discussion board for our Beat the Winter Blues group:  What is your favourite winter scene or cold moment in a movie?  We got some great answers, but the one that stuck out in my mind the most was The Day After Tomorrow.  This is the movie where everything freezes super fast, and if you weren't in a super warm room with a fire that was well insulated, you wouldn't last.  A few people shut themselves into just such a room in an old library and started to burn large old books to keep warm.  I've never seen a fireplace in a library, so I don't know if this library was fictional or not.  But it was so cold!  I had that movie on my mind last night before going to sleep.  I also had on my mind the characters from the tv show Heroes, as I rented that DVD and was watching it last night.  So guess what kind of dream I had?  A severe winter storm with superheroes battling it out.  And me, trying to survive the winter storm amidst all the drama going on around me.  Of course, there was of course an appearance of Angela Petrelli's sister Alice, who could control the weather.  Only this storm was so big, it was beyond her reach.  All she could do was to try and work with the storm to try and detour the big winds and snow gusts away from the us.  She couldn't take away the cold.  BRRRR.  I woke up feeling cold and shivery.  As I drifted from sleep to wake, it was a little hard to tell the dream was over, since there was very loud wind blowing.  There were high winds blowing this morning, and it sounded like they were threatening to rip the shingles off the roof.  Not exactly the weather we were expecting for the weekend - it was supposed to be mild.  So right now, I'm wearing a warm sweater and running the kettle to get warmed up.  My back is stiff from being so cold.  I'm sure my house is warm, but I feel so cold!  I haven't had our fireplace on all winter, but maybe today's the day I start it up again.

On to warmer thoughts, like knitting.  I'm sure once I get going with my bamboo double-pointed needles I'll feel warmer.  That's the good thing about knitting with wooden needles - they act as insulators, keeping  your body heat from escaping your hands.  If you knit with metal needles, you may notice that sometimes your hands feel cold after awhile, because it conducts your body heat out of your hands.  Some people with arthritis use wooden needles for this reason.  I'm also going to make some broccoli cheddar soup if I don't warm up soon.

This week I have a few knitting projects on the go - more than I've had any one time before, I am sure.  I have my sister's black Waffle Stitch Fingerless Gloves, that I have decided to knit in the round even though the pattern reads flat.  Do you think I remembered to pay attention to that?  Nope.  I am about two inches into the pattern, and have done about two of the main pattern repeats.  It looks interesting, and I am tempted to just keep going with it this way and see how it turns out.  I was supposed to knit rows 1 & 2 (k2, p2) flat, which I believe would have meant (k2, p2) for first round and (p2, k2) for second round, then rows 3 & 4 were knit for flat, so for round it would be knit one row, purl the next?  I'm still learning, but I think that's how it would go.  But I've forgotten to convert, so instead of the interesting waffle stitch, it looks more like little purl squares here and there.  I'd take a picture, but this yarn is like jet black and wouldn't show the stitches on my web cam.  I'll try to get out the better camera to see if I can't capture it with some nice window light on the stitches.  I've decided that there is enough yarn (I hope) to make both the right set of mitts, and the wrong ones I've started.  When I'm done, I'll post a comparison for you.

I have three other projects I'd like to finish by the end of this week.  One is the baby Kimono I'm knitting for the first time.  The pattern is for a 7 pound baby, so I've decided to go to smaller needles in hopes of making one small enough for the premature baby I'm knitting it for.  This will go out in the care package I've got all ready to go for a friend.  All I have left to do it the kimono.  I have a gorgeous pair of cabled fingerless gloves done in Blue Skies hand dyed yarn.  They feel so lovely!  I must admit, it's not so easy to knit with baby yarn, especially with those little bumps.  The yarn is so soft but it really is slowing me down, probably due to me being a slightly tight knitter.  I have to relax my tension a bit to let the stitches slide off easier.  I'm at the point of the pattern now where I have to learn something new.  It says I will need to divide for sleeves and body.  It started off at the neckline.  I have to knit 18, cast on 4 stitches (this is the part I will hopefully figure out, then slip next 26 stitches (left sleeve) onto a stitch holder, knit 32 stitches (back) ...  I'll take photos later to show my progress. 

Ok, children are demanding my attention now, so we'll finish up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, say hello!