Thursday 4 June 2009

...been a little busy

A friend of mine said to me yesterday, 'What happened to your blog?  You haven't posted since...'

I'm not the only one, though.  Some of my blogger friends haven't posted for months, and I wonder what they are up to as well.  So I'll update mine and tell you all how I'm doing.

I am doing well, and have lost most of my pregnancy weight, though I still have some weight to lose that honestly was there before the baby, but people are nice enough to pretend it was gained during pregnancy.  DH had bought a Bowflex home gym that was on sale half price during the winter, and we figured we'd save money by not having to pay our gym memberships anymore.  I We finally got it put up - not by us, of course.  We meant to get to it... but it never happened.  So someone suggested us getting a handyman to put it together, and we found one at great recommendation to us.  He not only put the home gym together, but he allowed our DS12 to be his helper and learn to use some of the tools like the Alan keys and the ratchet.  Then he fixed our eaves trough that had fallen off, and installed the new shower head that was waiting.  Then he came by on another day to put together our swing set that I bought and partially completed last summer (now I like to put things together, but I blame the heat & pregnancy for not finishing that one).  So I'm thrilled now to have so many things finished and in working order!!!

It was almost too good to be true, and our washing machine must have gotten wind of this state of well-being in the house, for it shortly thereafter broke down!  I had of course, fallen slightly behind in my laundry and the laundry room had become Mount Washmore.  I had one load in the dryer, and one in the washer when there started the 'thump-thump-thump-thump' sound that had become accustomed lately.  We were told the drum attachment was started to wear out prematurely (a common problem I was told of GE front loaders recently) due to laundry detergent residue.  You know how they say to use only HE detergents with front loaders?  Well, when I called Tide to ask them (3 years ago) why they didn't have a Cold Water Wash detergent for HE washers,  they said you didn't need one with an HE washer since they were already so efficient.  I still wanted to save more, and use the cold water cycle, so they suggested that I use the regular Cold Water Tide, but use only 1/4 of the recommended use.  So that's what they did.  My DH didn't care for us buying the HE detergents, as he thought it was just a scam for getting people to spend more money for the same amount of loads that the regular detergent would do.
Now we find out that when you use the regular detergent, even at a reduced amount, it leaves a residue on a part of the machine that wears it away, eventually breaking it down.  The cost of the repair for this?  About $600.  Ouch.  And what a good wife I am... I didn't even say, "I told you so" or "you were wrong", nothing of the sort.  I did, however, make him promise to never use regular detergent again on the new washer we will be buying, as we can't afford any more $600 mistakes - I included myself in the blame for that mistake, and I also include Tide for telling me I could use regular detergent but less of it.  But I'm not mad at them, as they have kept my clothes clean for many years.  

So last night hubby and I went on a date night... to the laundry mat.  Baby slept through our whole date.  So this week we are researching and shopping for a new washer that is energy efficient and environmentally responsible (this means most of the parts will be recyclable, and any other features that help contribute to the cause).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, say hello!