Monday 7 April 2008

Spring Distractions



I've barely touched my computer this week! I have to catch up on all my online friends' blogs and see what everyone has been up to. I've been spending a lot of time outdoors this week. It's the first time we've had a whole week of sunshine, whoo hoo! The snow has been melting away, and I could actually see the dirt in my garden. All 6x2 feet of it! The kids have been helping me check for signs of spring on our walks to the pond. We've been taking pictures of the Canada Geese that are flying home. There's more and more of them every day, taking over the sidewalks. The children are amazed at how close the geese will let us get to them when we walk by ever so slowly; we are careful not to invade their personal space. Yesterday we bought some soil and seeds, and today the children and I are starting the seeds off using empty containers we have been saving, like apple sauce jars and small yogurt cups.

I noticed that a few of my tiger lillies are starting to pop out of the ground, as well as my tulips and irises. Just enough to break ground, but it makes me smile every time I look at them. The children like to 'pet' the scottish moss in the garden whenever we come home from our walks.

On to knitting content: On Thursday night I decided to take my knitting with me to the community meeting. I've never taken knitting to a meeting before (I took a dishcloth once, but didn't take it the needles out of the bag). I was determined to knit during a meeting. Just another right of passage into the knitting world, eh? So I packed up my giant ball of Red Heart yarn into a huge canvas bag, along with the second half of my boggle purse that I'm knitting. I also brought my abbacus bracelet that I got on Etsy, to keep track of what row I'm on. So picture me at this meeting, listening to the speaker as I'm contently knitting away, and as I get to the end of the row I realized I had one too many stitches left! What the ???!
My face all scrunched up as I realized I must have forgotten to k2 at the start of the row, before continuing with the pattern (*kpk in same stitch, p3tog,* repeat). Of course, I knew I couldn't frog the row and start over, while actaully paying attention to the speaker, so I huffed as I put the needles back in my bag and commenced to give the speaker my undivided attention. As I was sitting in the front row, she was most pleased to see me put the knitting away. She must be a non-knitter.

2 comments:

  1. hey! those geese look like the ones that just left our lake here in va beach!!! tell them hi! we love the spring and seeing all the new sprouts/baby animals.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny...isn't that about the way it goes though?

    Hope your not getting any of the snow that is being dumped on us...

    I love seeing the first sprouts of the day lilies....

    Happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!