Thursday 24 January 2008

It's My Birthday!

I used to be so shy of telling people it was my birthday.  I've since grown out of that.  Last night two of my best friends brought me out to dinner.  We found that the special was appetizers at half price;  so instead of dinner, we loaded up on appetizers.  It was great!  I tried a few appetizers that I hadn't tried before.  There was some sort of spinach and asparagus dip that came with toasted nan (pita bread).  OH, it was so good!  I was also treated to a specailty drink that was like a hot chocolate with Bailey's Irish Cream in it.  Of course, I like anything hot chocolatey!  It was great to catch up with friends and share stories - we had so many laughs.

One friend commented, "It's too bad you have to work on your birthday." I have to say, I always have more eventful birthdays when I work.  Not that I don't enjoy a day off, but I will expand:  My job is to look after 5 precious darlings that make my life an adventure.  I love doing home child care.  These children really know how to celebrate life!  Most adults who know it's your birthday give you a warm gesture, which is always welcomed.  But you really can't beat the enthusiasm a child brings when they wish you "Happy Birthday!!!" as if you are the most celebrated person in the world for that moment.  Wow!  And the great part is, when I work on my birthday, I get this special treatment ALL DAY!  The children are forever taking tissue paper, fabric, blankets, and whatever they can find to wrap up toys from the toy box and give me a surprise gift.  One child wrapped up my salt shaker to give me.  They love to see the surprised look on my face when I open their gift, which I am, as I never know what to expect (I try not to peek when they are wrapping something).  Who knew you could unwrap tons of gifts, have so much fun with it, and have it not cost anyone a cent?  They even painted me some birthday art!  Today we are going to make birthday cupcakes to share with everyone.  I just know it's going to be a great day! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's your spoilee, just wanted to wish you a happy birthday!!! It sounds like it's going to be wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!