Saturday 12 January 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I usually don't make a big deal of resolutions. I have never written them down, and usually forget them shortly after.
People who write down their goals have a much greater tendancy to succeed in them over those that don't commit them to paper. So here I go, writing them down. I like the idea that I can look back later to reflect on my progress, and perhaps surprise myself.

Aside from the list, my life goal is to grow more and more in my understanding of the Lord, and learn to walk in His ways.

1. Take a vacation this year to somewhere I have never been before.

2. Go on real dates with my husband, just the two of us.

3. Enjoy my weekends to the fullest.

4. I am going to follow Fly Lady's advice and keep her motto from last year, "Progress, not perfection".
My goal is to check in with my fly friends once a week and keep up to date with our zones, events, etc.

For those of you not familiar with fly lady, you can check her out at www.flylady.net
She helps those who are battling against CHAOS in their homes ( CHAOS - Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) due
to the clutter building up all around. Through baby steps, she helps us (her fly babies) get our homes back in control.

5. Complete 365 crochet stitches. I was given a perpetual calandar with a different stitch to try for every day of the year.
These stitches can be adapted to make several patterns. I am going to start simple, but I'm excited about the idea of making my own patterns. I have made a few vests, hats, scarves, dishcloths, baby blankets, and one child's sweater last year. This year it is my goal to complete a sweater for me to wear, and take on some new projects. This year I plan on learning more about Tunisian crochet, and see where that leads me.

6. Learn to knit. I want to make some mittens for one of the local programs: knitters make mittens for children who often go without them in the winter. I will also make mittens for myself, my kids, and their friends.

7. Clean out that basement! Out with the old! We have been in our house for three wonderful years now, and I know there are things down there in boxes that we haven't used. So why not bless someone else who could make better use with the things I have? I am going to keep a give-away box going, so when Canadian Diabetes calls for their clothing/household goods pick-up program, I will always have something ready to donate. See how fast we can get that basement ready to renovate! I want to start finishing the basement this year; at least get the drywalling done to start with.

8. Read books for myself, just for fun. Not books relating to school, home, work, etc. Just read a good book, and another, and another...

9. Invest more. Put some savings aside each month.

10. Eat healthier, exercise more. I am going to go on regular walks with a buddy. I will be using the book "Body Clutter" by Marla Cilley as well as her Body Clutter Investigator to help me keep on track with this.

11. Scrapbooking: complete baby album that has been collecting dust for over 3 years.

12. Paint a picture on canvas.

13. Be greener. In 2007, our home was able to cut our electricity bill by a substantial amount. Most of our home is using energy efficient appliances and devices. We switched our computer to an energy star MacBook with energy smart features. We got dryer balls to cut down on drying time, and tried hang-drying our clothes in the summer. We have given away our printer and purchased an energy star printer (we use recyled paper). We had also upgraded our microwave last year to an energy star microwave oven. All these things have amounted to a decent savings on our hydro bill. We have joined the treehugger mailing list, to keep up to date on new ways we can help the environment. So for 2008 my goal is to make a smaller carbon imprint on the earth, and learn more about being part of the solution.

14. Seriously consider getting involved in a project like Habitat for Humanity. It would be great to help out in something like this, as a family.

15. Have a great year!

5 comments:

  1. These are great resolutions!!! Some of them are a little ambitious, like 365 new stitches in 365 days (and like making TEN big resolutions), but learning new stitches - no matter how many - is still a great idea.

    Is drywalling a part of your basement cleanup resolution, or will this be your husband's task? Either way, I can't wait to see the finished product.

    Oh yeah, three guesses as to who I am. You know me in real life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooops, I said TEN. You actually made FIFTEEN resolutions!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, for my three guesses I would have to say either my big sis G, Lisa, or Elizabeth from down the street.

    I will have to check your link and see if I can find out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. erotic market

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!