Wednesday 30 January 2008

New Question: stitch markers?


Ok, so now I know what frogging is, and I'm sure I will smile every time I use the term. So what's new with me?
I have been searching other people's blogs to find out what knitters and crocheters like to spoil each other with. I keep seeing two things that people seem to love:
1. Crocheters love bamboo hooks. I don't know why; wouldn't you get slivers in your work? I would assume that fine pieces of the fibre would get caught on the bamboo. But I haven't actually seen any at my local yarn store to try. But they sure do look nice on the websites!

2. Knitters really seem to like these fancy stitch markers I keep seeing. The problem is, I can't figure out how they are supposed to be used! I have the standard Lion Brand stitch markers I purchased with my learn to crochet kit, and they all have a little space in them to slide the stitch on and off. Now please be patient, I'm new to knitting, but how on earth would you slide one of those fancy markers?

While I'm at it, I should go get permission for the photo I copied from the string and purls web site. I'll go do that now, before I get into trouble. After that, I will see if I can find a You Tube video of someone loading on their fancy stitch markers. They do look so pretty, don't they?

6 comments:

  1. I couldn't understand them at first either! You just keep slipping it along when you come to it in the row. Like, you knit knit knit slip the marker from the left needle to the right needle, then knit knit knit... :-D I actually prefer plainer ones though, so I don't have to worry about the charm etc. getting in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh right! That makes perfect sense, keeping the loop on the needle! I had been trying to imagine how to get it to stay on the yarn, and then how to get it off again later! Well then, now that I know they would be quite useful, I should probably put them on my shopping list, eh?

    I'm glad it's much simpler than I had thought! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I was going to tell you how they worked, but it looks like you already know!

    It's fine that you used the pic. I got them in a swap package I received from a good blog friend of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only trick that is best not to learn the hard way is when you're using dangling stitch markers to make sure you move it in FRONT of the yarn (for a knit) or BEHIND it (for a purl). If you don't pay attention, you can get the charm stuck in the stitch itself and then on the next row you have to drop the stitch to free it or try to squeeze it out.

    ps - I learned this the hard way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pps - since you're still exploring, have you found Etsy yet? not all knitting/crochet related, but all handmade!

    checkout sunneshine.etsy.com - she makes my favorite stitch markers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I think I will get some special stitch markers on there for my secret pals. Maybe I can use that for my something round, or something green on the Scavenger Hunt?

    That certainly opens the door to more possibilities!
    Yay! Thanks for help, everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!