Tuesday 29 January 2008

Topic # 2 for Defeat the Winter Doldrums swap

There are many people who ADORE receiving hand-knit or crochet items; but there are just as many who have no appreciation whatever of how much love, work, and time goes into a hand-made item. Share a story of a hand-made gift you gave to someone and how it worked out - good, bad, or ugly!


A few friends and co-workers threw me a surprise baby shower a few years ago.  One of the gifts we received was a white baby blanket.  It was the most beautiful baby blanket I've ever seen, and still is.  Of course, I was never told what the pattern was called, or where the yarn might be found.  The design was so delicate, with clusters here and there.  In the light, it glistened like white pearls, and felt just as smooth.  Our baby slept so dreamily when he snuggled up in that blanket.  It is now one of our most cherished keepsakes. I adored it so much that I wished I could one day make something that special for someone else. That is essentailly what inspired me to start crocheting again.  I still haven't found a baby blanket pattern like it, nor have I found the same type of yarn.  But that makes it all the more precious to me.

Oops!  I'm supposed to write about something I made and gave to someone else!  Well, I haven't made too many things yet, as I am still a beginner.  I test out my skills by making little projects to give away.  All the Christmas dishcloths I made last year seemed to be well received.  But the one that took the cake had to be the hat I made last winter.  Here's the scoop on that one:
I had just finished making my first hat and a matching scarf for myself.  It was my first time doing a pattern in rounds, and I was so pleased that it turned out ok. I couldn't wait to start on a new project to make for someone else.  A child I knew seemed to be hatless;  he kept showing up to play at our house without a hat.  He would get so cold outside in the snow, but for some reason never brought a hat.  So I thought, why not make one?  I didn't have a child's hat pattern (and hadn't learned how to adjust for size) and figured that since I had already made one hat, it should be easy to do. After working on this hat over the weekend (without a head to measure), I presented it to him and his mother. I thought they were pleased with it.  The next day I overheard the child telling my kids about their mother's disapproval, and her criticisms.  Apparently it didn't fit perfectly.  I thought it was warmer than nothing, but tried again to adjust it by adding a few rows and some ear flaps with string to tie them together.  The added rows ended up making it look like a fisherman's hat. I suppose I added too many increases to adjust for size. It did look rather ridiculous! Thank goodness I can laugh at it now! I have to admit, I wasn't making it to look pretty, it was to stay warm, which it did all winter. I think the mother must have been embarrassed to see her son in such an awful hat, for she soon started to send him in some very nice knitted hats which his grandmother made for him.  I've made some nicer hats now that I have found a couple of children's hat patterns. The comments made were a little discouraging, and I became a little more shy about giving away projects for awhile.  I've since gotten over it. I've found that my biggest fans are the children I take care of. When I make them something, I am much harder on myself than they are. They just adore getting something special made for them, and they don't care if there are flaws. That's what makes it worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, say hello!