Saturday 23 February 2008

Cross Border Shipping

I almost renamed Friday as Endless Errand Day.  But, we got it all done so I can enjoy my weekend.  To be truthful, my husband got most of it done for me, plus he brought me a Timmy's (Tim Horton's) coffee just the way I like it; half coffee, half hot chocolate.  MMMMMM!  I've tried getting a mocha latte at starbucks, but it doesn't seem the same to me.  Very strong taste.

As I was filing my paperwork, I noticed on my shipping receipt for my parcel that went out for the dishcloth exchange that there was an error.  Not an address error, thank goodness, but somehow I had posted the wrong dollar amount in the contents section.  I tried to use the new "Ship in a Click" on the Canada Post website to print off my shipping label. Their form took the number of items inside the package, times the value amount (I thought that was to be the total dollar value) and ended up showing the total as $89.00
So on the form I had filled out:
Items               Number of Items     Value
Knitting Supplies          4                       $
Dishcloths                    3                       $

I quickly glanced it over and figured they would do Total = Value of Knitting supplies + Value of Dishcloths, not Total = (4x$)+(3x$), which quadrupled the total value of the parcel.  Now, as anyone in Canada who has purchased an ebay item from outside Canada knows, duty fees are a dreadful thing.  I felt aweful for having made this horrible mistake, assuming my secret pal would now have to pay duty just to get her parcel!  In Canada, if you purchase anything from across the border that totals over $20 in Canadian dollars, you pay duty.  To make it worse, if it is sent by Fed Ex or UPS you pay a brokerage fee, even if there is no duty!  USPS is the best way to go, as they don't charge brokerage fees.  If you get a gift, the Canada Customs will allow for the total amount of the package to be less than $60.00 and not pay duty, as long as it is clearly marked 'gift' and not ordered directly from a company. 

I can't find any information as to the customs fees for items entering the US from Canada, other than a small article I found on Ebay.  I don't know for sure if this article is correct and up to date, but it mentioned there was a personal gift allowance of $100.  Whew!  What a relief!  I was feeling so horrible - imagine if you sent someone a nice gift and then had to make them pay a duty fee to get it.  If any of my 'anonymous' pals know about this and can confirm, that would be greatly appreciated!  Have you had a problem receiving shipments from Canada to the United States?  Please let me know!

3 comments:

  1. st friend lives in Canada and we've never had a problem, as long as it's marked gift. :) I'm sure all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually said "Actually, my best friend..." but it cut part of it out. Weird... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alls well that ends well...

    Said package was received and I didn't have to pay a penny!

    And it was all absolutely wonderful...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!