Monday 18 February 2008

Huge Sale at Michaels!

I don't know if their sales are the same in the US as in Canada, but for the next 2 weeks there are quite a few types of yarn on sale.  I went there Saturday and couldn't believe the stuff I got! I  stumbled on something cute for the something T category for the Scavenger Hunt Swap.  I now have all my Scavenger Hunt items ready to go!  I purchased my shipping boxes at the postal store, have little gift bags for the items to go in.  I had so much fun with the Dishcloth swap and Scavenger Hunt Swap, that I ended up mistakenly purchasing items for both swaps in the Scavenger Hunt categories... something local, something funny, something hard, something round, etc.  I realized that I didn't need all those categories for the dishcloth swap, and had a little laugh at myself. 

When I was at the store, I was looking for some double pointed needles for the mitten pattern my upstream spoilee emailed to my secret email addy.  I would love to make a pair of mittens.  Another customer at the store pointed out that since I am a beginner, I should start with something simpler, like a scarf or a hat.  

While I was there, I picked up one of those Nifty Knitters for my boys to use.  They've been showing a lot of interest in my yarn stash.  My 11 year old made a few crochet chains the other day, and now wants to learn more.  So I showed him how to use the Nifty Knitter, and within minutes he made a few rows.  Then he cast off, and called it a blue and white snake.  Very cute.  I'm not sure if it's possible to purl on a nifty knitter, but there are lots of possibilities for him to try.  My husband would like the boys to make a sweater for our new stuffed animal, El Toro of Love (Valentine's gift from Hallmark).  The kids like having accessories for their stuffed animals.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, you could start with something simpler, but you don't have to. Using dpns isn't that different from straights, and if you want to make mittens, I say go for it! You know you have people here who can help you if you get stuck. And after I send out your package (Hopefully this weekend!) you'll be able to email me if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would a felted purse be simpler? I don't mind working my way up, but I'm anxious to try something other than a dishcloth. I like making dishcloths, but now that I know I can do them, I want to try something new.

    Looking for a fun project...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a felted purse is a great idea! Felting is a good thing to do, because it will hide any small mistakes you make. I say go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, maybe I'll see if ravelry has any felted purse patterns or yarns. I'll let you know later what comes of it!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!